Top 10 Health & Wellness Documentaries Basketball Players Should See
If you are new to wellness or are seeking to expand your knowledge on various topics like basketball nutrition, sustainable agriculture, organic versus commodity food sourcing and more, than the following is a list of top rated documentaries from leading wellness experts from around the world to help you grow and learn about healthy living. All of these films can be found on Netflix or purchased online.
- Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (www.fatsickandnearlydead.com ) – Directed by Joe Cross, this autobiography is a thorough glimpse into the life of a man who was very sick and his only hope was taking several prescription medications that seemed to only worsen his conditions. After being turned onto fresh, raw fruit and veggie juicing, Joe decides to do a 60 day detox and his results are incredible. Watch to find out what happens over that 60 day period.
- Food Matters (www.foodmatters.tv ) – Directed by leading health coaches Laurentine and James Ten Bosch, they team up to uncover the truth behind the pharmaceutical industry and reveal the roles that nutrients and vitamins from fresh foods play in the body in regards to overall health and well-being.
- Hungry for Change (www.hungryforchange.tv ) – As the sequel to Food Matters, this documentary highlights the health dangers and concerns of consuming a largely processed and refined foods diet. Learn the difference on the effects of the body between a whole, fresh foods diet and a processed diet.
- Fed Up (www.fedupmovie.com) – Produced by Katie Couric, this brand new documentary film exposes the truth about the flaws within our public school systems food programs. Following a group of frustrated and fed up, overweight teens; Fed Up gets to the root cause of why childhood obesity has reached an all-time high.
- Forks Over Knives (www.forksoverknives.com) – This ground breaking documentary dives into the more technical side of nutritional science and how research and studies have shown that eating a largely plant-based diet is beneficial to overall health and well-being.
- Food, Inc. (www.takepart.com/foodinc) – Exposing the truth behind animal farming, Food, Inc. interviews and documents what really goes on at several chicken, cow and pig farms. Learn the business behind what it takes to get your meat and produce to you refrigerator.
- Farmageddon (www.farmageddonmovie.com) – In the past decade the government has taken complete control over the agriculture in the United States. Farmageddon reveals what this means for you and I and the small farmers of America.
- The Gerson Miracle (www.gerson.org) – Based upon the philosophies of detoxification expert Max Gerson, The Gerson Miracle reveals the truth about natural treaments for chronic disease like cancer. Learn why conventional Western medicine may not be the best methods of treatment for those suffering at the hands of these terminal diseases.
- Vegucated (www.getvegucated.com) – This documentary follows three people who eat the Standard American Diet of meat, cheese and processed foods as they convert to a vegan diet for six weeks. Find out what they discover about health and well-being from eating a more plant-based diet.
- Super Size Me! – Can you imagine what would happen if you were only allowed to eat McDonald’s for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a month? This is exactly what independent filmmaker Morgan Spurlock did and the results are astonishing. Watch to find out what happens to his body within that month!
What food and nutrition documentaries do you think we should have included? Ask your basketball trainer how to incorporate diet and nutrition into your specific program. Some of these movies are pioneering and you should involve your parents (if you are a minor) & physician with any major dietary changes. Please share this with friends and comment below.